Major Gift Officer
Status: Exempt Full-time 12 month position
Reports To: Associate Vice President of Development
Overview: The major gift officer is responsible for raising funds to support the advancement of the college's mission and strategic plan. Funds are raised through a variety of outreach activities including personal visits with assigned prospects.
- With limited supervision, manage a portfolio of approximately 250 prospects within an assigned geographic territory. Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and engage in stewardship to meet or exceed assigned revenue targets.
- Utilize face-to-face visits and other contacts to develop and enhance relationships with prospects and to move portfolio members to higher levels of engagement and giving
- Complete call reports and other administrative responsibilities in a timely manner, utilizing support staff as appropriate.
- Plan and execute travel in a cost efficient manner, maximizing visits and outreach efforts in the assigned territories.
- Participate in department events including Homecoming , Commencement/Alumni Weekend, receptions and other events
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Office of Advancement on special projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
B.A. or B.S. in a related field.
Skills & Experience:
- 3-5 years of demonstrated success in a fundraising position or strongly related experience. Previous fundraising in a higher education or human services area is preferred.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and independently create and manage a fundraising plan for assigned portfolio.
- Ability to represent the varied needs of the College community to a wide variety of alumni and other giving prospects.
- Ability to develop rapport quickly and communicate effectively and assertively with a wide variety of personalities.
- Work cooperatively and professionally with constituents and colleagues.
- Must be familiar and skilled with a variety of computer programs.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Additional Requirements: This position requires extensive travel by plane or car as well as evening and weekend work. Must be able to occasionally work very long days and visit with prospects in a variety of professional settings. Successful candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than October 15, 2012. Resume review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.