Assistant Football Coach
Status: Exempt Full-time 10 month position
Reports To: Head Football Coach
Overview: Is responsible for the overall management of the defensive backfield program including coaching, recruitment and retention of student athletes, as well as instruction as assigned by the Athletic Director.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate practice activities for designated players. Provide group and individual assistance in a manner that engages the athletes and builds commitment to the program.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the coaching staff to integrate efforts and create program success. Assist other staff members with activities as need to reach the goals of the team.
- Meet with prospective students and their family members both on campus and at remote locations. Provide advice and counsel on the admissions process, the Augustana experience and the integral role of the student athlete in overall campus life.
- Provide feedback to assigned staff members and student workers on work performance and overall effectiveness.
- Create teaching curriculums for physical education activity courses as assigned during the academic year. Find ways to engage students in learning activities.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in appropriate area of specialization required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3 or more years of coaching experience preferably at the collegiate level. Experience coaching experience at the NCAA Division III level is preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to relate to a diverse group of students, athletes, coaches and campus community members.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of comprehensive pass coverage, including man-to-man and zone techniques and skills
- Must have a thorough understanding of and accountability to NCAA and CCIW rules and regulations. Strong commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student athlete.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Exposure to outside weather and extreme temperatures is frequently required.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel to away games during the season and to high school games, events, and other opportunities to meet with prospective students. Extended weekend and evening hours especially during the football season are expected.
Successful candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Application materials must be received by Friday, December 15, 2012.
Interested applicants should submit a formal letter of application, resume, list of references and a one-page coaching philosophy statement to: Rob Cushman, Head Football Coach, Augustana College, 639
38th Street, Rock Island, Illinois 61201.
Electronic submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.