Members of the WVIK News team won nine awards in Illinois and Iowa news competitions in 2014—the most of any radio news department in the Quad Cities.
Michelle O'Neill, news editor, was awarded five of WVIK's nine accolades. She took home "best hard news feature" in the Illinois Associated Press Broadcast Contest for "Illinois Victims' Rights Proposal," and four other awards from the Iowa Broadcast News Association (IBNA).
Herb Trix, news director, received awards in three categories in the IBNA, including first place in the feature category with "Letters Home from Hero Street."
Renata Sago, last summer's Amy Helpenstell Foundation Journeyman, currently at WMFE in Orlando, Fla., also placed for WVIK in IBNA's feature category with "Dress Shirts, Ties and Hope for Davenport Boys."
"It's really gratifying to receive awards like this for the work we do every day for our listeners," said Jay Pearce, CEO and general manager of WVIK. "It's proof that even now, as the only true radio newsroom left in the Quad Cities, WVIK isn't resting on its laurels, but remains a leader in the greater region."
WVIK also provides mentorship and employment to Augustana students pursuing a career in broadcast journalism.
A complete listing of the awards won by WVIK News:
Illinois Associated Press Broadcast Contest - Downstate Radio
- "Illinois Victims' Rights Proposal" by Michelle O'Neill, first place, best hard news feature
Iowa Broadcast News Association - Large Market
- "A Hungry Insect is Eating Ash Trees" by Michelle O'Neill, second place, use of actuality
- "The Trouble with Bees" by Michelle O'Neill, third place, use of actuality, farm and agribusiness
- "Crossing a Closed Bridge" by Michelle O'Neill, third place, general reporting
- "Letters Home from Hero Street" by Herb Trix, first place, feature
- "Midwest Week" by Herb Trix, third place, public affairs
- "Dress Shirts, Ties and Hope for Davenport Boys" by Renata Sago, second place, feature
- Herb Trix, second place, best newscast
For more information about WVIK, contact Jared Johnson, director of corporate support, partnerships and marketing, at 309-794-7507.