What to expect at the Reading/Writing Center
Writers can expect...
Together, we will discuss and practice strategies for writing and revision that can be applied to more than just one assignment. We aim to help you improve your overall skill as a writer.
Readers can expect...
Together, we will explore and practice various reading strategies and ways to think and write about complex texts.
English Language Learners can expect...
Together, we will discuss and practice ways to achieve academic proficiency, linguistic fluency, and/or social competency necessary to succeed at Augustana.
What to bring
Since our tutors can assist at any stage in the writing process, the materials you bring to a Reading/Writing Center appointment will depend on your stage in the writing process and specific goals for the session.
If you are in the initial stages of planning or pre-writing, you and the tutor can discuss your ideas to help develop and organize them. If you have some notes written down already, bring them.
If you have a draft completed, we prefer that you bring a typed copy with you, but if you'd rather work from a laptop, that's OK, too.
No matter what stage of the writing process you are in, always bring the assignment prompt (and rubric, if available) to show the tutor.
A Writing Center session
- You and the tutor will begin by setting goals realistic goals for the session.
- Your tutor will invite you to read your draft aloud. If certain sections sound awkward or confusing, the tutor will guide you in re-thinking or rewriting those passages.
- RWC consultations follow a top-down process whenever possible. This means that you and the tutor will first examine the more global aspects of the paper and then, when time allows, move to the more particular aspects, since there is little use in proofreading an entire paper that requires significant revision.
- At the end of the session, you and the tutor will review your accomplishments and jot down a short list of other areas that may need more improvement,
- At this point, you are welcome to schedule a follow-up appointment if neccesary!