The Reading/Writing Center
The Reading/Writing Center (RWC) provides all Augustana students the opportunity for one-on-one instruction and advice on their writing, reading and other academic skills. The RWC is located in The Gerber Center, room 423 (next to the computer lab).
Hours during the term:
Monday-Thursday: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Sunday: 7-9 p.m.
Students may drop in or call ahead (309-794-8987) for an appointment or sign up via Starfish.
About the center
The Reading/Writing Center is staffed by three faculty members and more than two dozen peer tutors who conduct one-time or multiple sessions designed to promote academic self-confidence, skills and knowledge.
Current peer tutors represent more than 30 majors and minors. These students have been recommended by two faculty members, undergone a competitive hiring process and completed two classes on tutoring theory and practice.
Whether you are a first-year student or a senior, the center and its tutors are ready to help with:
- Advice on any stage of writing: getting started, drafting, revising, editing or proofreading
- Instruction on reading comprehension and strategies for reading complex texts
- Guidance on writing personal statements for graduate school or job placement
- Practice with English skills, if English is not your first language
- Individual help in preparing for reading comprehension or writing portions of graduate examinations
- Reference books about writing
- A comfortable place to ask questions and share knowledge
For more information about the Reading/Writing Center, email firstname.lastname@example.org.