The Upper Mississippi Center at Augustana is looking for full-time student research assistants for its Sustainable Urban Watershed Research Project next summer.
The project assesses the health of watersheds in the Quad Cities area, in collaboration with the cities and local non-profit organizations.
Research assistants will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the project. They will be expected to develop an independent research project related to better understanding either the social or ecological dimensions of these watersheds.
Applicants should have demonstrated research experience or strong desire to attain such experience; possess strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work as a team; be organized and able to manage multiple projects; and show n interest in sustainability.
Experience with ArcGIS and statistical analyses, lab and field work is a plus.
The deadline for applications is Jan. 7.
The positions will run from June-August; there is some flexibility in start and end dates.
Research assistants will:
• Collect, compile, analyze and interpret data related to environmental, social, economic dimensions of sustainability.
• Work with faculty from different disciplines to collect data and information and conduct background research.
• Participate in field work and collect samples, which may require working in steep, heavily forested terrain and under adverse weather conditions.
• Assist in the facilitation and logistics of related meetings and outreach events with community stakeholders.
• Keep detailed records of procedures and methods used to collect and analyze data and information.
• Work with a spreadsheet and/or database program to input and track information.
• Create, manage, analyze and display data with geographic information system (GIS) mapping.
• Compile and analyze data using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) and other statistics programs.
• Prepare a final reports, memos, and literature reviews; including annotated bibliographies summarizing research findings.
• Update relevant websites to increase awareness of UMC efforts and its initiatives.