How to get a 2017 IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript
This information is for tax filers who are unable to transfer tax data using the IRS Data Retrieval link in the FAFSA.
In most cases, for electronic tax filers a 2017 IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript may be requested from the IRS within three weeks after the 2017 IRS income tax return has been accepted by the IRS.
Generally, for filers of 2017 paper IRS income tax returns, the 2017 IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript may be requested within six weeks after the 2017 paper IRS income tax return has been received by the IRS.
Please be sure to order a Tax Return Transcript, not an Account Transcript. An Account Transcript cannot be used to satisfy verification requirements.
To receive a Tax Return Transcript online or by mail:
• Go to www.IRS.gov.
• Under "File" select "Individuals," then select "Your Information" and then "Tax Record (Transcript)" or go directly to Welcome to Get Transcript.
You will be presented with two options:
1. “Get Transcript Online” – to print and view transcript immediately. You will be required to create an account and authenticate your identity.
To register for this service, you need:
- Social Security number, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
- Access to your email account
- Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan and,
- A mobile phone with your name on the account
Request theTax Return Transcript.
2. “Get Transcript By Mail” – for delivery in 5-10 days to the address on file. Request theTax Return Transcript.
Other options to request IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript include:
• Toll-free phone: 800-908-9946. After you hear the description of transcripts offered, select Option 2 "Transcript of your tax return." This is self-service; 5-10 calendar day delivery to the address on file.
• IRS2Go mobile app is available for Android and iOS (Apple) mobile devices. This is a 5-10 calendar day delivery to the address on file.
• Form 4506-T – This paper Request can be found at www.IRS.gov. Request the transcript be sent to your home address, and send it to Augustana once you have received it. We ask you list your name (student and parent, first and last) and SSN, per new IRS regulations. This takes up to 10 business days.