Augustana offers several programs and opportunities to community members.
Augustana College Quad Cities Area High School Advanced Study Program
Augustana College offers area high school students the opportunity to advance their study on our campus. This program is available to currently enrolled high school students in the Quad-Cities community. Through this program Augustana will make available, to qualifying participants, a select set of appropriate general courses and some upper level foreign language courses available each semester (J-term coruses are not a part of this program).
Eligible participants must:
- be a currently enrolled high school student in the Quad Cities area
- completed 10th grade
- students seeking to take a foreign language must have completed a minimum of four-years of high school language study in a single language or have earned a score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in the appropriate language (course placement will be determined by the Augustana department chair).
- have prior approval from the high school for participation.
- meet all application requirements and standards.
- adhere to all the academic policies and procedures as well as Augustana College code of social conduct.
- understand that upon enrollment in college coursework, all FERPA policies are in effect for the enrolled student and the rights for the release of records rest with the student regardless of age.
- Some coursework may require completion of prerequisites or permission of the academic department.
In addition, participants are considered part-time non-degree students and cannot participate in:
- living in campus housing
- visiting Augustana campus housing
- participating in student groups, clubs or organizations excluding those that relate to foreign languages
- attending any social or service events or gatherings that are open to college age students only
- alumni status following completion of these courses
Optional items for purchase:
- an Augustana parking pass (students must buy a pass to park in campus lots or park on the city street)
- a meal card to eat in our dining facilities (or they may use cash)
STEP ONE - Apply to the program
To participate, interested, eligible individuals should apply to the program by completing the one-page Special Student Application available for completion online.
Students need to be prepared to comply with the following requirements in order to enroll:
- Submit a signed letter from the high school principal or school counselor stating the student is in good standing and granting permission to enroll in the program (on school letterhead)
- Submit high school transcripts.
- Students seeking language study must show successful completion of four-years of language. If fewer than 4 years of language are completed, student must have official AP scores sent from College Board to Augustana.
- Students seeking language study must take a foreign language placement exam (if requested by the department)
- Report to campus to register in person by appointment
- Bring a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID at the time of registration
- Sign the following required forms (Augustana Honor Pledge, Campus Communication Form, Media Release and the High School Advanced Study Program agreement at the time of registration)
- Show photo ID to obtain a valid campus identification card
- Set-up an Augustana email account
- Validate your campus network username and password
STEP TWO - Register for courses
Prior to the start of each semester, the Registrar's Office will provide a list of available courses upon request from the student or high school (availability will vary by semester). Registration for these seats will start during the previous semester's final exam week and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the Office of the Registrar for exact dates/times for registration. To receive this discount, students must register in-person in the Office of the Registrar, Founders Hall during the designated date/times and complete the additional required forms.
Participants in this program must have a valid email address for application purposes. Payment for courses will be billed at the time of registration and is non-refundable.
STEP THREE - Taking the course.
Approved participants are expected to enroll and attend class starting the first day of the semester. Full participation in the course is an expectation for this program. Students must adhere to the same enrollment dates, deadline and procedures published in the Academic Calendar.
Augustana is pleased to offer these courses for a nominal fee of only $1250 for a regular 4-credit course. Participants will be held to the same academic and disciplinary standards of the Augustana community. Campus housing is not available for participants in this program. Students will be able to request transcripts for one month following the conclusion of the course for no fee (requests must be made in Arches). After this time, students will be charged the regular transcript fees. Students who enroll in this program and subsequently enroll at Augustana as a degree seeking student are eligible to receive a $1000 scholarship to attend the college.
Individuals who are not eligible for this program, but are interested in taking courses at Augustana for credit should follow the regular admission process and will pay regular tuition.
For questions please call (309)794-7277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Augustana Adult Community Program
Augustana College offers the Adult Community Education Program to select individuals in the Quad-Cities and the broader community. Through the community education course discount program, Augustana will make a select set of courses available to qualifying participants. By taking part in the Augustana classroom experiences, participants can continue on their paths as life-long learners. Courses will be for fall or spring semester and summer session. J-term courses are not part of this program.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR SUMMER 2020! All summer 2020 courses will be taught in a distance environment. These are typically not synchronous experiences (one class all online at the same time) but a device (tablet, laptop or desktop) with both video and audio will be required. Participants will not be able to use campus computer labs or other locations to access a computer. After you have registered your instructor will contact you about the format of the course.
Eligible participants will audit a course. Participants will not earn any college credit or continuing education credits (CEUs) for this coursework toward any degree or major. If an alum would like to receive credit and a grade for their transcript, they will need to participate as a non-degree, former student and pay full tuition for the course. Eligible participants include:
- Senior citizens and Peace Corps
- United States military veterans who have previously earned a college degree
- Augustana alumni with degrees
- Augustana retirees, both faculty and staff
STEP ONE- Apply to the program
To participate, interested, eligible individuals should apply to the program by completing the one-page Special Student Application available for completion online. Participants will receive a detailed email about their next steps.
STEP TWO - Register for courses
SPECIAL NOTE FOR SUMMER 2020! After application, students will receive an email explaining how to register by Google Meet appointment (audio and video required). May 27 is the last day participants may register for summer courses.
A minimum of three weeks prior to the start of each semester, the individual should contact the Registrar for a list of courses. Registration for these seats will start during the previous semester's final exam week and will be on a first-come, first-served basis (fall term registration for this program will not begin until August 1.) To receive this discount, students must register in-person and complete the additional auditor form available in the Office of the Registrar, Founders Hall.
Participants in this program must have a valid email address for communication purposes. Payment for courses will be billed at the time of registration and is non-refundable.
STEP THREE - Taking the course.
Approved participants are expected to enroll and attend class starting the first day of the semester. Full participation in the course is an expectation for this program.
While, regular tuition at Augustana is approximately $1800 per credit hour or $7200 per four-credit course, through this program, Augustana is pleased to offer courses for a nominal fee of only $300 per credit or $1200 for a regular 4-credit course. Participants will be held to the same academic and disciplinary standards of the Augustana community. Campus housing and college transcripts are not available for participants in this program.
Individuals who are not eligible for the Augustana Adult Community Education Program, but are interested in taking courses at Augustana for credit should follow the regular admission process and will pay regular tuition.