Skip to main content

Preferred Name, Gender Identity & Pronoun Policies

Augustana College recognizes that students may choose to identify themselves within the college community with a preferred first name that differs from their legal first name.  Preferred first name will be used across college systems, where feasible.

Policy requirements

The individual is free to determine the preferred first name they want to be known by, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name.

The college reserves the right to remove a preferred first name if it is used inappropriately, including but not limited to, avoiding a legal obligation or for the purpose of misrepresentation.

The legal name will continue to be used in college-related systems, business processes, and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, payroll and tax documents, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or college policy.


Legal name – The name that appears on government issued identification.

Preferred first name – A name other than the legal name; may not be used to avoid legal obligation or with the intention to misrepresent.

Scope of policy

The preferred first name will appear in the following systems:

  • Class lists
  • Starfish
  • Campus directory (Cosmo)
  • Moodle
  • Student ID card
  • Dining and library (iShare)
  • Housing Roster
  • Network login
  • Student email address

Legal name must appear in the following places:

  • Grades (Arches); grading screens; grade reports 
  • Transcripts
  • Enrollment verification forms
  • Program evaluation
  • Financial aid documents
  • Tuition, billing and fees

In addition, the legal name will appear in most external-facing college documents*, publications and communications, such as the official Dean's List produced after fall and spring semesters. There are a couple of exceptions to this policy: 

  • List of candidates for publication on college website, in the Commencement program, senior and honors events and the graduation list in local paper (student may choose the name they want used);
  • The college-issued diploma (student may choose name to be printed on diploma at the time of application to graduate);
  • Most athletic promotional materials such as event programs, announcements during competition and press releases (student-athletes will be referred to by the name they are known by their teammates and coaches unless they specify otherwise);
  • College marketing materials where a student has consented to have their name identified (student may choose the name to be used).

*the use of student names strictly adheres to FERPA directory information policy


How to request a preferred name change 

NOTE: If you want to use your legal first name, you DO NOT need to do anything. The college will automatically use your legal name and there is no need to confirm that with a form

To create a preferred name log in to Arches and select "Change My Preferred Name" under the "Communications" banner.

Select "Change Your Preferred Name" located under your photo.

Enter your preferred name and select "Save."

After your request has been successfully saved, you will receive an email with a confirmation of your request and additional information. There is no charge for the first reprint of a student ID card issued as a result of a preferred name change. Students should visit the Public Safety Office to create and receive a new ID. 

Additional support

Students may also submit a flag in Starfish to request gender-affirming support on campus. After submitting the confidential flag in Starfish, students will be contacted via email by, who can provide support and resources. Students should know that raising this notice is confidential and the notice will only be seen by Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity and you.

Legal name change

Students who wish to officially change their legal name with the college should visit the Registrar’s Office in Bahls Campus Leadership Center (old Founders Hall) in person. Individuals will need to submit two pieces of current identification with the legal name change visible: government-issued photo identification and the name change document (i.e. a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document reflecting the name change). 

How to update your gender identity and pronouns

Students may also choose to notify the college of their pronouns and gender identity by completing the steps in Arches. 

  1. Login to Arches module 
  2. Choose User Options in left side navigation
  3. Click on User Profile
  4. Click "Change Your Preferred First Name, Preferred Pronoun or Gender Identity
  5. Complete the desired fields
  6. Save to update your information

If a student enters this information in Arches, pronouns and gender identity will appear in the following places within Arches.

  • Faculty Overview
    • Roster
    • Grading
  • Advising Overview (available to faculty and advisors soon)
  • Arches User Profile
  • Plan Archive (available to students soon) 
  • Students Schedule Print